Saturday, April 11, 2009

Semana Santa

Just a quick update to let everyone what's going on in my life. Since this week is Semana Santa (Holy Week), I have the week off of school! I decided to spend this week and next in Manuel Antonio (right on the beach!) taking a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course. Through WorldTeach, I can get a certification in two weeks instead of 4 and for a fourth of the price. It certainly hasn't been the most interesting class, but hopefully this will beef up my resume a little bit. With this certification, I can teach English in any country in the world, which may be a good option if I can't find a job in the US with the current economy.

Outside of class, I have been heading to the beach with some of the other WorldTeach volunteers who are also taking the class. Yesterday, five of us went banana boating (long yellow tube pulled by a jet ski), which was well worth the 2000 colones ($4). We tipped over twice and I discovered how difficult it is to get back up on the boat from the water...at one point, I managed to get up and promptly slide off the other side. I think I spent nearly as much time bobbing in my life jacket as I did on the "banana" but it was so fun!

This week, I also had my first experience with the Costa Rican health system. On Tuesday morning, I woke up with a rash all over my face and one of my eyes was almost swollen shut. I was able to take care of the eye using Benadryl and then I went to the pharmacy to get perscription drugs without a perscription (standard here). The issue was convincing the lady at the pharmacy that I was not sunburned like every other gringa here. Finally, I got through to her and went off to class. My eye started to swell again that afternoon so I decided it was time to go to the clinic. I found a doctor who spoke English and was extremely helpful. However, there was only one examining room so I had my appointment with an old lady on an IV in the room. I was prescribed 3 pills and 2 shots and I had to go get all of this from the pharmacy (including the shots!) Then I came back to the clinic so the doctor could give me the shots. Luckily, the old woman was moved out into the waiting room so the doctor could give me the shots...um, not in my arm. I was a little worried about the amount of medicine I was on, but by Wed I was significantly better and good as new by Thursday.

Today, I'm heading to Manuel Antonio National Park with some of the other volunteers to hopefully see some monkeys. Feliz Pascua (Happy Easter) and Passover to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment