Monday, January 19, 2009

Journey to San Ramon

This past weekend, I met up with my travel buddies and went to my site, San Ramon for the first time. The journey consisted of three bus rides but the 3 total hours I was on the bus was a lot better than some of the other volunteers who had 10 hour trips to their sites. I got off at my stop after the last bus ride and heaved my huge bag out of the luggage compartment under the bus. Then I tried to shut the luggage compartment door. No go. I tried again. A man leaned out of the window and yelled instructions on how to close it, which probably would have been helpful if I could understand what he was saying. Finally, after about 5 tries, the bus driver had to come close it for me. Every person on the bus was staring at this crazy gringa who couldn´t even get a door closed.

Once the bus left, I realized that I was standing in front of the school and that the street was deserted. Since I had not been able to get in touch with my host mom before I went to San Ramon, there was no one waiting for me. I picked up the pay phone to call my family but it wasn´t working. Ok, time for Plan B...find a random stranger. I started walking up to the white house next to the school, then remembered that the previous volunteer had said this family stole her things and never fed her. So I went to the yellow house next door. A 13 or 14 year old girl named Gabriella came to the door and I asked, no more like begged, her to take me to Albertina´s house. She agreed and tried out all of the English she knew on me while I struggled with my 60 pound bag. About half way up the hill, one wheel broke. When Gabriella finally left me at the house that I recognized from a picture, I was beet red, covered in sweat, and breathing heavily. Not exactly the first impression I wanted to make. A little girl ran out of the house, shreiked and ran back inside. She reappeared with Albertina, my host mom and they both came to hug me, even though I was gross.

The house is small, but very cute and clean. The view from the back patio is amazing...I will have to post pictures soon. There were welcome signs, balloons and decorations all over my room. I was so touched! Albertina and Daniela, her 6 year old daughter, tried so hard to make me happy and comfortable. The gifts I gave them were huge hits and they showed off the makeup and Disney Princess cards to everyone who came over...which was a LOT of people! Albertina has 10 siblings so the extended family was huge. I don´t remember anyone´s name or relationship but everyone was so nice! They all live in a row next to each other and they probably make up about half the town.

I realized how much I need to work on my Spanish on this trip because I thought I was saying one thing many times and it turned out to be something else altogether.On Saturday night we went to Mass. Albertina asked if she could introduce me to the congregation. I said sure, thinking I would just smile and wave. Apparently, I got my verbs mixed up because the next thing I knew, I was being handed a microphone and led up to the front of the church. Yikes. I managed to get out that my Spanish was very bad, that I was excited for the upcoming year and that I was grateful for their welcoming. Then the priest asked me questions to make up for everything I had forgotten to say...like my name and where I was from. I also inadvertently committed myself to singing karoke with my uncle when I get back.

All in all, I already love my site. Daniela has known me less than 24 hours but she is already telling me she loves me. Albertina was so welcoming and kind...I can´t wait for the day when I can understand everything they are saying!

3 comments:

  1. What a great visit Kelsey. I'm sure you are thrilled by that fantastic welcome. They sound like tremendous people!!! I can't wait to hear more.

    Love you--
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kelsey,

    I am MUCHO proud of you! (see how I used spanish? You're going to need to practice a lot to catch up to my skill level...good luck) Im so happy you've adjusted well and are having fun! I miss you tons...and I cant wait to see all your pictures in person this time next year!!!! Love from the great white north!

    - Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey,

    Hi! looked at all your photos, they are great. Sounds like all is going well. I am sure you are getting excited about school starting. Twyla and John said to say hello.
    Too bad they don't have a computer. I an going to send her your address so she can write to you. Take care.
    Love
    Eleanor and John

    ReplyDelete